Monday, May 30, 2011

Museé de Louvre

The past few days have been absolutely filled to the brim. Art museums, architecture, politics, and so many sweets that I feel like my stomach might just burst.

It's all completely worth it, though.


Yesterday, I saw one of my absolute favorite paintings on our expedition to the Louvre. Physically seeing a piece of art that you have been greatly attached to is a bizarre experience. On one end of the spectrum, you feel like you know it better than the back of your hand. On the other, your expectations of the space, framing, and actual color might vary greatly from what you may have studied previously.

One of the things I never would have even thought of accounting for was the crowds. I understood that this was a famous painting, but I was never really grasped just how many people would have come through to see it. I wondered if they were drawn to the painting for any of the same reasons I became so attached to it in the first place.

I had a lot of fun sitting and photographing/sketching the movement of the crowds. 






Soon after, the floods cleared, and I had a brief moment of complete silence alone with the piece. I it could have been longer, but I felt my mind and eyes completely entangled with this painting. I wish it could have lasted longer.


I love the accentuation of her dimples of Venus. 


One of my absolute favorite spots on the painting. I stared at (and sketched!) this for a long time. 

I will make sure to post more in-depth looks at her soon.

Bonne nuit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment